Are you a lover of Fitness and healthy Food as well? Are you searching as me for the foods which suits your lifestyle and making you feel energized, strong and gives you the glow?
I might found it again! For a long time now I want to produce my own Sauerkraut and finally I do it.
After I made my own Sauerkraut I started to eat it like a cure and haven’t stop it. In beginning I ate ¾ – 1 cup per day for 2 weeks. My stomach could handle it. I recommend a daily use of 30-40gr, as 4-5 fork daily. Its good to add it to your normal meals.
I am in love with healthy crunchy foods. For some people I might eat some strange looking combinations as I love to eat the Sauerkraut on my homemade Seed bread with cream cheese or Greek yogurt.
The raw consume is the best to reach the highest amount of benefits to your body system.
What did I get out of eating Sauerkraut daily for the first 2weeks?
100% visible smoother, tighter and cleaner skin after a couple of days already.
I defiantly reduced my cellulite and got a strong metabolism boost and cleanse which showed that I haven’t had a bloated stomach since than, still if you eat too much of it, though, or you will experience the discomfort of bloating and flatulence. Most superfoods are very beneficial but they just work in the right amount, otherwise they can be your enemy too.
Somehow I am less puffy too after eating too salty-sugary foods as cheese or extra fruits. Recently I said to a friend that I can think clearer again but this just pop in mind now…BUT this could be also an effect of the Sauerkraut which I am consuming now on regular base since 6 weeks. Super happy!
In German we say: Sauer macht lustig! Eng. Sour makes fun!
Two centuries ago, when this variation of fermented cabbage rose in popularity in China, fermentation was a means of slowing fresh produce’s spoiling. During fermentation, microorganisms on the cabbage convert the natural sugars into carbon dioxide and organic acids. Over the years, it earned its German name “Sauerkraut,” which is translated to “sour herb” or “sour cabbage.”
During fermentation, naturally occurring yeast and bacteria in the air, on your hands, and the cabbage reacts with the cabbage’s sugars. The result is beneficial probiotics, not unlike those found in yogurt and kefir. Besides the valuable health benefits, the process makes food more digestible, improving the gut’s vitamin and mineral absorption capabilities. All these benefits make sauerkraut nutritionally superior to raw cabbage or coleslaw!
The probiotics in sauerkraut help maintain a healthy gut lining by balancing the bacteria in the gut. Strong gut lining stops possible leakage of undesirable substances into the body, which may lead to an immune reaction. By ensuring a healthy gut flora, harmful bacteria are discouraged while natural antibodies are encouraged.
Weight Loss Benefits
The good news, apart from being low in calories, sauerkraut is high in fibre, which naturally reduces the normal daily intake of calories. High in natural probiotics, which are believed to reduce the body’s fat through regular diets, slimming the waistline almost by default.
One cup of sauerkraut provides 27 calories of nutritional value, including 6 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fibre, and 1 gram of protein.
Brain Health and Stress Reduction
Healthy gut flora may play a stress-reducing role and preserve brain health. The memory may be improved by probiotics in the body, reducing symptoms associated with anxiety, autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and depression. However, anti-depressant medication may be affected by sauerkraut, and such patients should consult their physician before introducing sauerkraut to their diet.
•Anti-carcinogenic plant compounds may reduce the development and spread of certain cancer cells;
•High fiber, probiotic, and vitamin K2 content may lower cholesterol levels, improve blood pressure slightly, and lower the risk of heart disease;
•Vitamin K2 promotes strong, healthy bones.
For a good reason, this cruciferous-based simple dish has come a superfood! Don’t eat too much of it, though, or you will experience the discomfort of bloating and flatulence. Keep it in your fridge. Eat as a side dish and you will be happy!
German Sauerkraut Recipe
1 white cabbage ca 1-1,2 kg
1Tbsp. Pink Himalaya salt
- Take off 4-5 outside leafs and wash them
- Wash the cabbage
- Cut cabbage in quarters and cut of the white trunk and hard parts
- Shop finely the cabbage, as finer as better the taste and softer it gets
- Cut the 2 apples and put quick in food processor, set at the side
- Put your finely cabbage in a big bowl and add the 1 Tbsp. salt
- With your hands start massaging the cabbage with the salt for some minutes.
- When its getting shiny and watery add the apples and massage it some more min..
- You should see some water building on the bottom of the bowl, then it is enough
- Put some Kraut in the jar and push it firmly down with a pounder.
- NOTE the cabbage has to have liquid on top of it always, otherwise there is no fermentation happening.
- You keep going filling the jar with batches of Sauerkraut always push the kraut firm down, seeing water building on top.
- When all kraut is inside the jar, fold the big cabbage leaves and put them firm on top and press it firm on the kraut. You can put a fermenting weight on top or a heavy item as a stone. Some water coming up to the cabbage leafs, if they are just a bit wet, most important is that the Sauerkraut is completely underwater.
- Keep the glass in a dark place not to cool, not too warm. Around 20 degrees.
- Daily open quick the jar and push the Kraut down and close it immediately
- After 6-7days you open the glass and take the big leaves off. You can eat them. Now put the Kraut in the chiller and leaf for 5-7days until soften and complete in flavours.
Let the Food be the Medicine and Medicine the Food. Hippocrates (400 BC)