Juices or smoothies are an easy option to increase your dosage of fruit and vegetables and fill up on vitamins, minerals as well as antioxidants that your body needs to be healthy. From this point of view, they are a healthy addition to your diet. However be aware of the sugar: One single juice or smoothie bought in a store can contain several fruits like kiwi, banana, orange, mango. That’s a lot of sugary fruits in just one drink.
Here are a few tips which should help you on how to choose the right juice:
- If possible make them on your own or go to a place where you know they use fresh fruits and veggies as well as good combinations
- Go for low GI (Glycemic index) fruits like apples, pears or berries
- Incorporate green vegetables into your juice or smoothie too
- Try to aim for 70% vegetables and 30% fruit
- If you want to make it more nutritious, add a good source of protein like almond milk, greek yogurt or 1 Tbsp nuts or seeds
The American smoothie industry alone is worth 2,3 $ billion a year. It is, of course, a big business and not all products out there keep what they promise like radiant skin, weight loss or all over health, so try to stick to the rules above.
It is a given fact, that fruits and veggies are healthy but like everything take them in moderate dosage and combination. A mid- morning smoothie is always better than mid- morning pastries.
Try our healthy frog, alkaline or detox juice at Avocado Cafe! They are well balanced, home-made and contain only fresh ingredients, and are made with love!