Your body has two circulatory systems…one is blood and the other is lymph. Our heart pumps blood, but there is no pump for the lymph. That’s where we come in. By exercising and doing activities like dry skin brushing we encourage our lymphatic system to circulate.
That’s all fine and dandy to say, but truly the benefits that come from a getting your lymph system moving include: enhanced immune system, increased ability to absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K, and increased detoxing of the body, just to name a few.
It only takes you a few minutes each day! But the benefits of dry brushing are amazing!
- removing dead skin cells, leaving you with softer smoother skin
- moving lymph
- reducing cellulite
- increasing circulation
- helping the body detox…by stimulating the lymphatic system
- stimulates the nervous system to tone muscle and tighten skin
How to do it and what do you need?
A simple, natural bristle brush is all you need. You can find these at your local health food store or grocery store or you could get them on Amazon.
The key to dry skin brushing is to use long, sweeping strokes towards your heart:
- Starting at your feet, and brush up your legs using long strokes. Make sure to get the front and the back of the leg.
- Move to your thighs. Cellulite…you don’t stand a chance against this skin brush!
- Belly is next. I keep with the upward motion towards my heart, but you could also go in a circular motion.
- Next move to your arms, starting with the hand, also use long sweeping brush strokes.
- When your are near arms make sure to also brush in the pit area, as this is exactly the area where you have a lot of lymph nodes.
- Last are the shoulders and chest, go in small, gentle strokes down towards your heart.
Dry skin brushing is best done just before your bath or shower, which will wash away any impurities expelled from the skin. After your shower, massage your skin with a natural toning oil.
Dry skin brushing isn’t just beneficial during fasting or cleansing, it’s a great addition to your regular everyday routine. The health and beauty benefits can extend well beyond your fast, keeping your skin healthy and your lymph moving.